India’s rate for Caesarean deliveries – or C-sections – is much higher than the internationally accepted rate of 10-15 percent of all childbirths. It is highest in private hospitals in big cities, where birthing mothers are likely more educated and affluent than their rural counterparts.
Why is this happening? Why are modern moms opting for a complicated surgical procedure like C-section instead of facing the rigours of a natural birth? What are the misconceptions they have about natural birthing?
This week on eShe TV, editor Aekta Kapoor chatted with two childbirth experts about this.
The first guest, Neha Misra Mutluru is a certified childbirth educator and birth doula who supports families during pregnancy and birth. She is the founder of BirthSense.in and founding member of the Delhi Birth Network – a birthing support community for Delhi NCR.
The second guest Megha Khanduja is an HR professional who works in Gurgaon. After a traumatic Caesarian delivery the first time, she studied ways and means to have a natural birthing process and a positive childbirth experience the second time around. She is now a childbirth coach in the making and runs the educational Instagram page Mothering Mothers.
Listen to them bust modern myths about birthing in the video link below.
Here are some resources for to-be moms:
- Birthing resources in India: BirthIndia.org
- Information and evidence-based practices in childbirth: Childbirthconnection.org and Evidencebasedbirth.com
- Find mother-to-mother support and local resources at your Local Birth Networks such as Delhi Birth Network on Facebook and Instagram.
- Taking charge of your Fertility by Toni Wsschler
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- Giving Birth With Confidence (Official Lamaze Guide) by Judith Lothian and Charlotte DeVries
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding by Ina May Gaskin
Tune in to eShe on Facebook every Friday for a new episode of eShe TV.