India’s Oldest Cardiologist Turns 100, and Other News

A spotlight on women in the news and news of interest to women

India’s Oldest Cardiologist Turns 100!

Dr Sivaramakrishna Iyer Padmavati, who received the Padma Vibhushan and Padma Bhushan for her pioneering work in cardiology, turned 100 on June 21. Born in Burma in 1917, she trained in UK and the US in the late 1940s and the early ‘50s and was India’s first woman cardiologist.

She is credited with not just training several of India’s best cardiologists, but also for setting up the country’s first cardiology clinic, created the first cardiology department in an Indian medical college, and founded India’s first heart foundation meant to spread awareness about diseases of the heart.

Until three years ago, Dr Padmavati would swim up to an hour daily in summer, and go for long walks in winter. She would also travel often for international conferences until well into her nineties. Now she makes it a point to exercise at home regularly, and says she visits her workplace twice a week.

With the help of her team, she continues to interact over email as a consultant on matters of the heart. According to her, the branch called cardiology will become unnecessary in 50 years as medical technology will improve life expectancy and treat heart problems at the onset.

Her home in south Delhi was inundated with a stream of visitors, including her former students and India’s top cardiologists, on her birthday.

Happy, hearty birthday, doctor!

Malaika for Reebok - 2 (1)
Malaika Arora for Reebok

The Comfort of Fitness

Reebok recently announced a new line of yoga-wear with actress Malaika Arora as its brand ambassador. Known for her fitness fetish and workout videos on Instagram, she poses in Reebok’s latest Yoga collection, which includes “spunky tank tops, colourful tights and mesh designed sporty bras”. What got our attention, however, was a ‘Fit India’ survey done by Reebok, which showed that “56% women opt for comfort while choosing their workout gear.” We’re now highly intrigued about what the other 44% opted for.

Honeymoon in Jordan

Free Honeymoon Alert

We know you love special offers so we thought we’d share with you the latest scoop from Jordan. In an effort to promote the Western Asian nation as a wedding destination for Indians, Jordan’s tourism board is offering you a free honeymoon for seven nights for booking a wedding at any destination in Jordan – whether it’s one of the luxury resorts around the Dead Sea, or closer to the ancient city of Petra. It appears our desi fondness for big fat weddings has won us quite a few fans among tourism boards worldwide.

It’s a good time to be in women’s cricket

Women’s Cricket Gets a Prize Boost

It’s a good time to be in women’s cricket. The ongoing ICC Women’s World Cup in England and Wales comes with a 10-fold increase in the prize money pot, up from $200,000 in 2013 to $2 million this year. Of course, that’s still only a fraction of what men’s World Cup got in 2015: $10 million. Even so, it’s heartening to note that ICC has shown an “intent to move towards equality across the game within 15 years”. A recent study by BBC Sport found that 83% sports now reward men and women equally, up from 70% in 2014.

First published in the July 2017 issue of eShe. Buy the copy here.

0 comments on “India’s Oldest Cardiologist Turns 100, and Other News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s